This Vegan Pesto Pizza Rolls recipe is perfect for entertaining. Homemade pizza dough topped with dairy-free pesto and herbed mushrooms, all rolled up, sliced, and baked. Add vegan cheese if needed. Serve with marinara or creamy dips of your choice. Vegan & Soy-free with a Nut-free option.
- Prep Time10 mins
- Cook Time24 mins
- Proofing30 mins
- Total Time1 hr 4 mins
- Calories: 177.37kcal
Ingredients Vegan Pesto Pizza Rolls
- 3/4 cup (6.61 oz) warm water
- 2 tsp active dry or instant yeast
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp semolina flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups (8.82 oz) flour
- 1 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup (2.82 oz) sliced onion
- 7 oz sliced mushroom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsps vegan pesto see notes
- fresh basil
- vegan mozzarella shredded
- red pepper flakes
Instructions Vegan Pesto Pizza Rolls
For the rolls:
- Warm the water until warm to the touch. Add yeast and 1 tbsp flour and mix and let the yeast activate for 5 mins.
- Stir the salt into the semolina flour. Add the semolina flour and 1.5 cups of flour to the yeast mixture. Add 2 tsp olive oil. and mix to just bring together the dough. Add flour 1 tbsp at a time as required.
- Cover and let the dough sit to rise for 30 mins.
Make the fillings:
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil, onion, and mushrooms and mix. Cover and cook for 5 mins. Add salt, oregano, garlic, and water and mix well. Cover and continue to cook for 5 to 8 mins or until dry and tender.
- Make the pesto using this recipe if you haven’t prepared it already.
- Uncover the risen dough. Add oil and a tbsp of flour and punch the dough down and shape it into a flat disc. Use flour to roll it out to 15 by 10 inches thick.
- Spread the vegan pesto all over the rolled-out dough.
- Sprinkle the dough with the sauteed mushroom mixture. Add some red pepper flakes and vegan shredded mozzarella, if you want.
- Roll it all up and seal the ends. Slice the dough roll into pizza rolls and place them in a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with some more cheese if needed. Bake the rolls at 400 F for 22 to 24 mins. Check the center of one of the middle rolls, and if it’s not doughy, then remove the pan from the oven.
- Cool the rolls for 5 mins, then sprinkle with some red pepper flakes and some fresh basil if you like. Serve warm with olive oil or pizza sauce
- As a shortcut, you can use any plain pre-made pizza dough here too.
- For a recipe variation, you could add some cooked lentils, coarsely chopped walnuts, or any chopped vegan meats or sausages. Amp up the umami by adding some chopped olives to the filling along with the mushrooms.
- Oil-free version: Saute the mushrooms in some vegetable broth when making the filling. Use warm creamy nondairy milk instead of oil in the dough.
- Gluten-free version: Use a gluten-free pie crust and make pizza pockets instead. Or use my gluten-free naan bread batter, and fill it in a lined muffin pan (about half the liner). Swirl the filling lightly into the batter to create roll-like swirls. Top generously with shredded vegan cheese and bake for 15 to 18 mins.
Reference article source: https://www.veganricha.com/vegan-pesto-pizza-rolls-recipe/