Vegan Deep Dish Pizza Recipe. Easy Deep Dish Pizza with from scratch Crust, red pepper, spinach, vegan mozzarella, and basil. Vegan Pizza Recipe with Almost No Knead 20-minute Crust. Makes 1 tall 8 to 9-inch tall cake pan, preferably a Springform pan.
- Prep Time20 mins
- Cook Time30 mins
- Total Time50 mins
- Calories: 341kcal
Red bell pepper garlic Spinach filling:
- 1/2 (0.5 ) a medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced or use roasted bell pepper
- 4 to 5 oz (113.4 g) Spinach baby spinach or chopped
- a handful of chopped basil
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- red pepper flakes to taste
Deep Dish Crust:
- 3/4 cup (187.5 ml) of warm water
- 1.5 tsp active yeast
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) sugar
- 1.5 to 2 cups (187.5 g) flour I use unbleached white
- 1/4 cup (42 g) semolina flour or use fine cornmeal
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- Vegan Mozzarella shreds from homemade or vegan brands
- or use Vegan Mozzarella Slices from my Book
- about 14 oz Pizza sauce (store-bought or homemade, see recipe in Everyday Kitchen book)
- pepper flakes
- chopped basil
Make the red bell pepper spinach mixture:
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent. Add red bell pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add in spinach, basil, thyme, salt, red pepper flakes, and salt and mix in. Cook until spinach is wilted
Make the Pizza Dough:
- Mix warm water, yeast, and sugar, and let sit for a few minutes. Add 1.5 cups flour, salt, semolina flour, and oil and mix well with a spoon. You can also add some garlic powder or dried herbs at this point. Add a tbsp or so more flour if needed and mix in. Gather the dough and knead for a few seconds to make a soft dough. Let the dough sit in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 435 degrees F(225 deg C).
- Spray oil on the dough, then take it out and make a somewhat smooth ball. Using some flour spread the dough on an 8 or 9-inch pan with tall sides making sure to spread some of the dough above the edge.
- Keep the bottom thick enough else it might not support the heavy toppings. *
- Layer with vegan mozzarella, pizza sauce, red bell pepper, and spinach mixture, other veggies if using. olives, pizza sauce, vegan mozzarella, some fresh basil, and red pepper flakes.
- Bake at 435 degrees F / 225ºc for 25 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle some more fresh basil on the pizza. Let the pizza rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
- * At Step 3 of making the crust, you can bake the pizza crust for 5 minutes before layering the filling. This will help strengthen the bottom if using a heavy filling or moisture-leaking veggies/filling…
- Quick Pizza Sauce: Mix tomato puree, salt, pepper, olive oil, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and onion powder. Thin with water if needed, mix and use.
Nutritional values are based on one serving.
Reference article source: https://www.veganricha.com/vegan-deep-dish-pizza-recipe/