Vegan Naan Calzone stuffed with Spicy tofu and peas scramble and vegan cheese. Easy carry-out lunch. Vegan Nut-free Corn-free Recipe.
- Prep Time1 hr
- Cook Time30 mins
- Total Time1 hr 30 mins
- Calories: 248kcal
- 1 recipe Naan Dough
Tofu and Pea scramble:
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/3 to 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup (75 g) red onion
- 1 hot green chili
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) mustard powder or garam masala
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) turmeric powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) Kala namak/Indian black salt for the eggy taste optional
- 1 medium tomato chopped small
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast optional
- 14 oz (396.89 g) pack of firm Tofu crumbled. I use Nasoya organic non-gmo
- 1/3 cup (48.33 g) green peas thawed if frozen
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp (1/4 to 1/2 tsp) salt to taste
- a very generous dash of black pepper
- lemon juice and cilantro for garnish
- Vegan cheese shreds
- nigella seeds and vegan butter as needed for the calzones
- Prepare the Naan dough and let it sit to rise for an hour.
- Tofu Pea Scramble: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and cook for a minute or until they change color. Add onions, chili, and garlic, and cook until just about translucent. 3-4 minutes.
- Add spices and mix well. Add tomato, water, and nutritional yeast, mix and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until tomatoes are saucy.
- Mash/crumble the tofu with your hands or chop it small and add to the pan. Add the peas. Mix well, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. If the scramble begins to stick, deglaze with a Tbsp of water. I don’t press the Tofu before use, so usually, there is enough moisture to prevent sticking.
- Taste and adjust salt and spice. Lower the heat to low-medium and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle black pepper, lemon juice, and cilantro(optional) and keep aside to cool.
- Make Calzones: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F / 200ºc. Divide the dough into 7 to 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a circle.
- Place tofu and pea scramble on half the circle. Add vegan cheese shreds of your choice. Drizzle a little bbq sauce or sriracha or mango chutney another sauce of choice (optional). Fold the other half over to form a half-moon and seal with a fork. Shape all the calzones and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Spray water generously on the calzones. Sprinkle nigella seeds and press in. Let them sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Bake for 11 to 14 minutes or until golden. Brush melted vegan butter and serve with marinara, mango chutney, or other sauce/dip of choice.
nutritional values based on one serving
Reference article source: https://www.veganricha.com/spicy-tofu-peas-stuffed-naan-calzone/