Pizza with Chipotle Red lentil Tomato Sauce, Basil, and Vegan Ricotta. vegan, dairy-free, soy-free,
- Prep Time20 mins
- Cook Time40 mins
- Total Time1 hr
- Calories: 233kcal
For the Chipotle Lentil tomato sauce:
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (70 g) finely chopped red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup (64 g) chopped carrot chopped small (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry basil or 1 Tbsp packed chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups (298 g) chopped tomato or canned (loaded) 2 juicy tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste optional
- 1 chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 1/3 cup (60 g) red/pink lentils masoor dal, washed and drained
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cayenne or to taste feel free to leave out the cayenne
- generous dash of black pepper
For the Pizza:
- Use any of my white wheat or gluten-free pan pizza crusts
- nutritional yeast, fresh basil leaves, salt, pepper
- Vegan ricotta such as kite hill almond ricotta or vegan mozzarella
- In a pan, add oil and heat over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the carrots and herbs and mix well. Add the tomatoes, paste, and chopped chipotle pepper and cook for 5 minutes until slightly mushy. Mash the larger pieces.
- Add washed and drained lentils to the pan. Add salt, water, vinegar, cayenne, and black pepper. Cook partially covered for 16 to 17 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Cook a few minutes longer, uncovered, if the sauce is too thin. Taste and adjust salt, heat, and herbs. Take off the heat and keep it aside to cool. the sauce should be enough for 2 medium pizzas.
- Prep your pizza dough and shape it. Let the dough rise for 10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F / 220ºc.
- Spread the sauce liberally on the shaped pizza. Add sliced veggies of your choice or olives if you like. Sprinkle a generous amount of vegan ricotta or vegan mozzarella and some chopped basil(fresh or dried or both).
Bake for 14 to 16 minutes. Sprinkle more fresh basil, nutritional yeast (optional), salt and pepper, and serve.
For variation: Add 1/4 tsp fennel seeds to the sauce. Add a tbsp of nutritional yeast to the sauce. Chipotle peppers can be of all sizes and can make a mild to the spicy sauce. Use 1 or 2 to preference.
Nutritional values based on one serving
Reference article source: https://www.veganricha.com/pizza-with-chipotle-red-lentil-tomato-sauce-basil-and-vegan-ricotta/