Are you throwing a party and wondering how many pizzas to order for 15, 20, 30, 40, or even 50 people (or more)? This blog post will assist you in determining the appropriate number of pizzas for your party based on the number of guests. So, whether you’re planning a small gathering or a large event, follow this guide to get the ideal pizza-to-people ratio!
How Many Slices On A Pizza
- Each small (8-10′′) pizza has 6 slices.
- Per 12-inch pizza, there are 8 slices (medium)
- A large (14-inch) pizza has 10 slices.
- An extra-large (16-18′′) pizza has 12 slices.
You should double-check the number of slices before ordering because this varies by pizza provider.
How Much Pizza Do I Need to Order?
Here’s a quick breakdown of how many pizzas you’d need to order for adult visitors. These prices are based on ordering medium pizzas with 8 slices. When you order large or extra-large pizzas, you can get a much better deal, especially if you have a coupon.
This is the result of our official pizza slice calculation! The number of Guests multiplied by 3 (average number of slices eaten per person) and divided by 8 (average number of slices on a large pizza) equals the number of pizzas to order.
For instance, 20 guests x 3 slices each equals 60 slices of pizza. Divide 60 slices by 18 to get 7.5, which means you should order 8 pizzas.
Let’s get started with the pizza math: To begin, determine how many slices your pizza pie will be cut into. Slice sizes vary between pizzerias and restaurants, so it’s always best to call ahead. A general rule of thumb: 6 slices per small (8-10″) pizza, 8 slices per 12-inch pizza (medium), and 8, 10, or even 12 slices per large (which can range from 14″ to 18″).
Tip: If your pizzas are the standard 8 slices, each slice is one-eighth of a pizza. A hungry person can usually eat three slices, so here is a simple equation:
X*⅜ = P
where X is the number of guests and P is the number of orders that should be placed
It’s worth noting that no two pizzas are alike. If you want thin-crust pizza, round P to the nearest pie. Round down for deep-dish. Other factors to consider include the diameter of the pie, the number of toppings, and the size of the crowd. Is your crowd made up of children, the elderly, or people who are ravenous from sports or other activities?
How many pizzas for 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, or 50 people (or more)?
Based on the above formula, we have the number of pizzas to order suitable for the number of people as follows:
- How many pizzas for 5 people = 2 medium pizzas
- How many pizzas for 10 people= 4 medium pizzas
- How many pizzas for 12 people = 5 medium pizzas
- How many pizzas for 15 adults = 6 medium pizzas
- How many pizzas for 17 people = 7 medium pizzas
- How many pizzas for 18 people = 7 medium pizzas
- How many pizzas for 20 adults = 8 medium pizzas
- How many pizzas for 25 people = 10 medium pizzas
- How many pizzas for 30 people = 12 medium pizzas
- How many pizzas for 35 people = 14 medium pizzas
- How many pizzas for 40 people = 15 medium pizzas
- How many pizzas for 45 people = 17 medium pizzas
- How many pizzas for 50 people = 19 medium pizzas
Pizza Sizes In Inches
- A Small 10″ Pizza measures 78.54 square inches (at 6 slices, each slice consists of 13 square inches)
- A Medium 12″ Pizza measures 113.10 square inches (at 8 slices, each slice consists of 14 square inches)
- A large 14″ pizza measures 153.94 square inches (at 10 slices, each slice consists of 15 square inches)
- A 16-inch Extra Large Pizza has 201.06 square inches (at 12 slices, each slice consists of 16 square inches)
- An 18′′ inch pizza has 254.47 square inches (14 slices, every 18 square inches) (although these are often cut for 12 slices which would provide a whopping 21 square inches per slice)
How many slices per pizza size at Dominos Pizza and Pizza Hut:
- A small 10-inch pizza is typically cut into six slices and serves two to three people.
- A medium 12″ pizza is typically cut into 8 slices and serves 3-4 people.
- A large 14-inch pizza is typically cut into 8 or 10 slices, serving 3-5 people.
- A 16-inch Extra Large Pizza is typically cut into 6 or 12 slices and serves 5-6 people.
- A typical 18-inch pizza is cut into 6 or 12 slices and serves 6-7 people.
Pizza Toppings Ordering Tips
- Almost everyone enjoys cheese pizza or will eat it if their preferred pizza is unavailable. When in doubt, go with plain cheese or double cheese on one-third to one-half of your pizzas.
- Extra cheese is said to keep pizzas warmer for longer (increases the “hold” time of the pizza). If you need the pizzas to stay warm for a little longer, order extra cheese.
- 62% of consumers prefer meat as pizza toppings, with pepperoni accounting for 38% and sausage accounting for 14% of the top preferred meat toppings, and mushrooms accounting for 11% of preferred vegetable toppings.
- The most popular pizza size is a 14-inch large.
- If you know your guests’ preferences, order specialty pizzas with a wide variety/combination of toppings.
- Otherwise, they might not be as popular, especially if there are picky eaters present, resulting in a lot of leftovers (AKA “breakfast”).
- If you get thicker, specialty crusts or more than two toppings, you may need less pizza. These are heavier and tend to fill people up faster.
Pizza Ordering Tips
If you want the warmest, freshest pizzas possible, instead of picking them up yourself, work with your pizza vendor to have the pizza pies delivered right when guests begin eating. The pizzas will be delivered in insulated bags to keep them as warm as possible. If you insist on picking them up yourself, bring along several thick blankets to keep the pizza warm during the drive.
If you are ordering more than 10 pizzas, you should contact your pizza vendor 24 hours in advance to ensure that everything is ready on time.
Inquire about the number of slices per pizza size ordered. Some pizza places will cut a large pizza into 8 slices rather than 10. You can request an additional two slices per size to keep the portion size reasonable, particularly for large and extra-large pizzas.
Ordering Pizza For Children’s Parties
For children’s parties or when serving pizza as a side dish, request that medium pizzas be cut into 10 slices rather than 8, and large pizzas are cut into 14 slices rather than 12. Children’s eyes are typically larger than their stomachs. By keeping the slices smaller, you should have less wasted pizza when a child wants a second or third slice.
Keep in mind that, despite the fact that it is a children’s party, adults will be dropping them off and picking them up. Those same adults may also order a slice or two, so order an extra pizza, especially if your pick-up time is close to a normal lunch or dinner time (when everyone is at their hungriest).