Cheesy Pull Apart Pizza Bread. Pizza Monkey bread. Add roasted veggies, olives, and mushrooms to make a pizza bake. Vegan Soy-free Recipe.
- Prep Time15 mins
- Cook Time40 mins
- Total Time55 mins
- Calories: 201kcal
- 1 cup (250 ml) warm water
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) sugar or 1 tbsp flour
- 2 + cups flour I use 1/2 cup wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups unbleached white
- 3 tbsp semolina flour or use wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) oregano
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) garlic powder
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil divided
Cashew Mozzarella Cream:
- 1/3 cup (43 g) cashews (use a heaping up for creamier) soaked for 15 minutes in warm water then drained.
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) white miso or use chickpea miso to make soy-free
- 2/3 cup (166.67 ml) water
- Pizza sauce or tomato sauce
- dried oregano
- 1/4 cup (6 g) chopped fresh basil divided
- sliced jalapeno optional
- pepper flakes for garnish
Make the dough.
- Proof the yeast by mixing yeast, warm water, and sugar and letting it sit for 5 minutes. Then mix in the flour, salt, herbs, and 2 tsp oil until a sticky dough. Add flour 1 tbsp at a time if needed until it is slightly sticky. Let dough rest for 10-15 minutes near the warming oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Make the cashew cream:
- Blend everything under cashew mozzarella cream until smooth. Blend for a minute then let it rest for a minute and then blend again, repeat until very smooth. Taste and adjust salt and flavor.
- Drizzle oil on the dough and spread. Divide the dough into 12 to 14 portions and shape it into small balls.
- Place in a deep 9-inch pie dish or a 9 by 9-inch baking dish, at least a 1/2 inch apart. Keep more space between the balls in the middle as the middle gets less heat and the crowding might cause the dough to not cook through. If all of the balls don’t fit, freeze the rest wrapped in plastic wrap, to bake into dinner rolls later.
- Let the balls sit in a warm place for 5 minutes. Pour just a little of the cashew cream in between the rolls.
- Spread tomato/pizza sauce on top of the buns. Sprinkle oregano.
- Bake for 15 mins. Remove from the oven.
- Add roasted veggies if using between the rolls now. Pour more of the cashew cream over the buns, and more between the rolls that are on the top. Reserve some of the cashew cream to add later. Add 1 tbsp chopped basil and sliced jalapeno or olives on top.
- Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes. Take rolls out of the oven and rest for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if there is enough cashew cream left over, heat it in a pan over medium-low heat until thickened. Stir frequently to avoid lumps. then drop dollops over the rolls. Or if there is just a bit left, drizzle the cashew cream directly over the hot rolls.
- Sprinkle fresh basil, pepper flakes, and a tsp of extra virgin olive oil. Serve hot.
- Use a larger baking dish and place the rolls about an inch apart. After the first bake, add some roasted veggies, mushrooms, or peppers between the rolls and then drizzle the cashew cream.
- To make these gluten-free: Use my gluten-free dinner rolls. Bake the rolls, then add the cashew cream and pizza sauce layers and bake for 15 minutes.
- To make this nut-free: Use Cauliflower Alfredo or Pumpkin seed Alfredo. Add a tbsp of tapioca starch to the sauce. Both sauces will not be as stringy as the cashew-based sauce but should work.
- For variation: Use the mozzarella from Everyday Kitchen Book, and add dollops on the rolls for extra cheese pizza rolls.
Nutrition is 1 of 4 serves
Reference article source: https://www.veganricha.com/cheesy-pull-apart-pizza-bread/